Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rockabye baby

For those of you with easy happy babies...you may not understand this milestone. Don't get me wrong Ella Claire is the happiest little girl in the world now, but all of this stems from the colic days. We did anything and everything to get her to sleep peacefully. So, we've rocked, bounced, patted and shushed for more hours than we could count.

Bryan and I are really torn about our little girls most recent milestone. Ella Claire has recently started putting herself to sleep at night. While I know this is much better for her, we (especially the man in our home) are just plain sad. We have talked with her ped since about 9 months about this. She suggested that we quit rocking her to sleep then, but we just couldn't do it. Ella Claire cried and cried. Sometimes even for an hour or so when we tried this. It was unbearable. She would jump up and down in the bed screaming, "Momma" or "Daddy." So, we kinda figured that she's only little once, right? We'll rock her probably until she's 10. LOL

WRONG...The last several weeks at bed time she has rocked for about a minute. Then, she's laid down in her bed and gone right to sleep on her own. She has always been a very light sleeper, but this all started because we got to the point where we couldn't even lay her down without waking her up. She was just ready to do this bedtime thing on her own. I can't count the number of times Bryan has gone in to check on her to find her fast asleep. He, then, comes to me with a big frown...each time saying, "she doesn't need me at bedtime anymore."

Oh, I dread the days to come when he comes to me with that look because she's outgrown us.

Sweet Dreams, My Little Angel

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww! They aren't allowed to outgrow us are they? lol. Carter won't lay back in my arms anymore unless he is really tired. He used to lay back and just smile at me but now he thinks if he lays in my arms he will fall asleep so no more of that...so sad :(

Tera said...

I know you feel horrible when you put them to bed and they cry and holler mommy and daddy like it's bloody murder... Rylan still does that to us. He is a lite sleeper like Ella, and you have to stay till he is sound asleep. You can't move him cause he wakes up.. I made the mistake of letting him sleep with us. Big MISTAKE... I will know next time.

Marian said...

We went through the same thing with Adie. I would rock her and rock her until she fell asleep, then when I got up to put her down, she'd wake up, cry, and I would have to start all over again. It was maddening. So we finally went to the cry it out method. It only took about three days (I think she was close to a year old), and she finally got the hang of it.

Now at bedtime, we read one story and then rock and sing one lullaby, and she lays down in her bed and goes to sleep. It's kind of the best of both worlds. We get to cuddle her a little, and she still goes to sleep on her own.

Don't worry, Lindsey. She'll always be your little girl.

Bryan Matheny said...

Everybody is always worried about the mommy..... What about the daddy?

Tenara King said...

I know how colic days and nights feel. Jax had it! Its good that she is falling asleep by herself.

Be our friend......



________________
Add this to your site

About Me

My photo
The two most important things about me are that I am a wife to Bryan and mother to Ella Claire. I have been married to my best friend for 3 1/2 years. Bryan teaches at the alternative school in our hometown and coaches high school wrestling. I enjoy my job, which allows me to remain home with Ella Claire alot, but also help other children as well. I love spending time with my family, cooking, traveling, reading, watching movies, UT football, gardening and stamping. I love my life!